Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mark - [Practicum Post: 3]

Hey all! Just got done playing some more WoW, and I have to say, the game isn't at all what I expected. Before this, I had never played a MMORPG, and I had it in my head that with games of the sort, people depended on each other and interacted with each other on a regular basis. I'm finding that this is not the case at all. I can barely get anyone to talk to me, much less look my direction.

My biggest issue with this is that a lot of the players have this sweet cat/tiger thing that follows them and attacks things for them. I want one too! Every time I approach someone to ask how they got it, they just kind of ignore me. Sad... =/

At this point, this isn't too concerning. Most of the quests that I've done so far just involve collecting mushrooms, or killing small animals. Nothing I've dealt with yet requires more than one person's strength and health to complete. I'd imagine that most people in my area are in the same boat, so everyone just kind of runs around and does their own thing. I guess the only reason this surprises me is because I'm used to playing games on Xbox Live. In most games in that environment, you're put into a game and forced to cooperate in order to win. Teamwork and interactivity is usually assumed and is always a must. Here, multiplayer is looked at differently. In WoW, you're in a multiplayer setting, but you absolutely have the freedom to go it alone if you'd like. (Its kind of like Second Life with direction and objectives)

I have no doubt that as I progress in the game and the quests become more difficult I will have to start looking towards others to come out on top. I haven't decided yet if thats a good thing or a bad thing... Until next time, I'll just leave you with this quality screen shot of a conversation I had with a trainer.

I just want to point out the line:

"There is much talk about members of the hoard looking to sow even greater seeds of distrust. Remember that."

... What?...

No comments:

Post a Comment