Sunday, December 5, 2010

Tracking Computer Use

I tracked everything that I have done with my computer thus far this afternoon/evening. After lunch today, I signed into Gmail and spent 25 minutes checking email and gchatting with a friend at a different university. I then signed onto Facebook and perused for around a half hour. I then left the Facebook tab up and went to ESPN.com to check my fantasy lineup (huge first week of the playoffs in the league). I spent around an hour on ESPN looking over sports news, looking at scores from around the league, and reading an article about one of my players, deciding whether or not to start him. After spending time on ESPN, I took a break from the computer until later in the evening when I got to the union for some studying. Once at the library, I went on Facebook again for a few minutes and then went to the beer forum that I am a member of and read the recent posts and checked to see if there was any news for me (there wasn't as usual). I then went to learn@uw to take an online quiz for my Weather and Climate class that took around a half hour. I am currently now blogging for this class, signed onto the UW Badgers ticket site for the Rose Bowl tickets, and will soon post on this blog for my practicum project as well.

Tracking how much time I spend on the internet/using my computer makes me realize how much I depend on technology these days for entertainment and for general everyday activities. I know that tomorrow morning I will wake up and the first thing I will do is check the internet for weather. Simple tasks like that are what make me so dependent on technology, I don't want to have to wait to pick up a paper or for local on the 8's on the Weather Channel. I also realize that I cannot open up a computer and not go on Facebook, which is kind of sad. Needless to say, the internet is amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment