Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Practicum - Cailley

My job for the semester -- try out a locative service.

I wanted to try this one out because I have very limited experience with it. While I was an intern at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel this summer, one of the things I wound up doing was creating a nightlife blog for JSOnline.com. The three of us helming our blog wanted to try using FourSquare as a means of keeping track of where we've been, and to also let readers know where we were in case they wanted to meet up with us.

In the end, FourSquare wasn't as successful as we hoped. (I might discuss that more in-depth in the presentation.) So I thought I'd give it another shot from a recreational perspective and see how it went.

So far, things aren't too exciting. My life is pretty hectic right now, and I barely remember to check in when I'm at a new location (though I usually do when we're in lecture or discussion for this class). Other times, the web connection just takes too long and I get antsy and put it away.

An initial observation when using FourSquare: like pretty much all social media, there's not much of a point when you don't have any friends to share your info with. I have maybe five people as my "friends" on FourSquare, so in a way, I feel like my tracking everything is for naught. So...if any of you guys are on FourSquare, friend me!

Anyway, I'll keep trying to remember to check in wherever I go, and see where things lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment