Sunday, October 17, 2010

Google search

So the results of my stalking myself are as follows:

  • It’s VERY easy to find me, as my first name is spelled differently than most. The first several pages were all me.
  • My Facebook and Twitter accounts come up first and second respectively. My Facebook is private, but you can see my profile pic and a sampling of my friends. I leave my Twitter account public.
  • That’s when things get interesting. After the third listing, it gets into the different stories I’ve written for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Isthmus and the Badger Herald. I was the Arts editor at the Herald for about two years, and the third hit on my name concerns a controversy I was involved in…Archuleta-gate. To make a long story short, I, along with a writer of mine, upset David Archuleta’s entire fanbase. An anti-American Idol website caught onto it and posted about us (and later invited us onto their radio show). That was awhile ago, though, so it's surprising that it still ranks so high in my search.
  • Beyond that, my search results are mostly links to stories I’ve written. At the bottom of the first page is a link to a story I helped report on for the Journal Sentinel (about the three kids who got fined $86,000 for their house party).
  • One thing that’s handy as far as Googling myself is that I now know what other publications have picked up the stories I’ve written as wires. For example, the house party story got picked up by the Bellingham Herald in Washington. Who knew?
  • I also found out I’m listed as a movie critic on Rotten Tomatoes because of the one movie review I wrote for the Journal Sentinel. So that was cool too!

No comments:

Post a Comment