Sunday, October 10, 2010

Krista Practicum 1

So after numerous technical difficulties with getting second life to work, apparently it is a very memory intensive game, I finally was able to begin my adventure in second life. At first I was just very confused what I was supposed to do in this virtual community. So I just kept playing with it and learning how things work. Pretty much you just visit different places and make knew friends. It's funny how even though I am in a virtual world I can still feel a little nervous and insecure about meeting new people. So my first few times I just visited different places and didn't really talk to anyone, but after awhile I decided to try and talk to other people. I was surprised to find that the first few people I talked with were also new to the virtual world. I just assumed that everyone on second life had been on it for a long time. The first time talking with people was almost awkward because I didn't know whether to talk about myself, Krista Lentz, or my character Krysta Aycliffe. When someone asks me if I had a good day at first I think about my real day and then I realize that they are really asking about my day in second life. Its hard to distinguish between the two. I feel like it would almost be inappropriate to ask someone about their real life, because it seems the reason they are on second life in the first place is to escape their real life and be someone else. I can see why so many people play second life because it is a place where you can be whoever you want to be and act however you want without any consequences. I literally just played around with my avatar's appearance for about 2 hours one time. Its amazing how you can make your avatar look however you please. You can change everything from the hair color and style to the size and width of your nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment