Sunday, October 10, 2010

Practicum 1 - Kasi

It took me a while to figure out which wiki I wanted to read and contribute to throughout the semester, but in my search I discovered a cool website called Wikia (formerly Wikicities until the name changed in 2006). Wikia is similar to Wikipedia in that it is a type of free online encyclopedia, but it is a offers a lot more detail on the topics it covers and is much more interactive than Wikipedia. Additionally, Wikia allows its wikis to have a point of view, rather than the neutral view that Wikipedia strives for. Being the Glee fanatic that I am, I decided to concentrate my efforts on the Glee wiki. You can check it out at http://glee.wikia.com/wiki/Glee_TV_Show_Wiki

I thought this would be a fun way to focus in and really understand how a wiki works rather than just contributing to many random articles on Wikipedia. A cool feature that I found so far was that you can connect your wiki activity to Facebook, so your friends can see what new information you are posting and what edits you are making. You can also set pages to follow, like Twitter, that show up on your profile for easy access each time you log in. Overall, the website is very comprehensive and customizable, so I look forward to spending more time on it and seeing everything Wikia has to offer. 



1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad you discovered this website because I'm a huge Glee fan myself. I like how interactive this website is with the poll of the week and the option to change the Glee quote. I'm definitely going to be checking this website throughout this semester and probably as long as I keep watching the show. Thanks for sharing this website!

    ReplyDelete