Sunday, October 3, 2010

Number three: MySpace, the jealous middle child

Since I was too paranoid to try ChatRoulette in public (I have no internet at my place), I decided to check out 15 random MySpace profiles.

I call MySpace "the jealous middle child" of social networking sites because, as I'm sure you all did, everybody moved to Facebook when it became open to more than just people with a .edu e-mail address.
Actually no, not everybody.

Bands and singers are still on MySpace. Although the general quality of the website has gone down, those who want to get into the music industry still use MySpace as a good starting point to get their songs out there.

Some teenagers are still on MySpace. I did a general search of 18-35 year olds with profiles in the Madison area, and a good number of them were listed as 18 but put their real (lower) age in their "About Me" section.

People with great copy-paste skills are still on MySpace. Many of the profiles I saw were very...um, colorful. Some of them actually looked fairly decent, but most of them were ridiculous. The layouts either didn't match the text colors at all or were incredibly painful on the eyes and there were lots of pictures and graphics that looked like they were on top of each other. As someone who (with moderation) did this with her MySpace profile back in high school, I know that they did not create the HTML for their profiles themselves. They copied and pasted the codes into wherever they wanted, not caring about how it looked when the page was live.

People who think they are *on my grown woman shit* or the #1BO$$ BITCH 4 EVA BITCHES are still on MySpace. I forgot how crazy some users get with their usernames, which can be whatever they want. This has unfortunately moved to Facebook.

And finally...
People who think they are sexy enough to take one of those infamous side-camera pictures in their bathroom mirrors are still on MySpace. You know exactly what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment