Monday, November 15, 2010

Plants vs. Zombies - Who knew plants were killing machines?

“Hello, we are about to launch an all-out attack on your house. Sincerely, the zombies.”

I got pretty far in the game before having to stop and go to class, but I assure you that I would have continued to be transfixed by “Plants vs. Zombies” for quite some time otherwise.

What Liz talked about in lecture yesterday was pretty interesting, and I saw a lot of what she said depicted in the game:

  • It’s easy to learn: you really only move the mouse and drop plants where you feel like.
  • They start you off slowly with only two kinds of plants, only a little bit of grass and not too many zombies. As you progress, you’re given more tools and more challenges.
  • On the same note, it’s very instruction-heavy. They make you practice placing plants or digging them up again (thanks, Crazy Dave, or whatever your name was). And each new item is detailed with text to tell you how to use it.
  • Each level has a mini-boss, you could say, with the big “final wave” of zombies that come at you. And once you pass on, you get a new tool, like the zombie-eating plant (my favorite), or squash (my second favorite).
  • As you progress to new levels, you’re forced to put what you learned to use. After awhile, I had too many plants in my arsenal and had to select which ones I would use the most.

Overall, I enjoyed myself. I’m a fan of casual games, and I’m glad I finally know I’m not alone in loving time management games. (I have to admit that “Sally’s Salon” is a favorite on my iPhone.)

No comments:

Post a Comment