Monday, November 15, 2010

Plants vs. Zombies

So when I first got to the game I thought it looked kind of stupid and something I would never play. Now I realize just how addicting games are even if they seem extremely ridiculous and made up like saving your house from attacking zombies. I can't seem to stop playing! I can see how Plants vs. Zombies fits into our discussion of gaming and learning in terms of challenge and consolidation. At first, you are given sunflowers and pea shooters to defend yourself against the zombies. As you advance in the game, you are given more and more types of plants/tools to help you and in response, the zombies come faster and in greater numbers. This type of structuring is helpful to players who like myself, have never played the game before and yet as beginners, feel as though they can do a decent job defending themselves against the zombies. If a zombie attack ever does happen (and more than one of my friends believe it will), I hope I will be prepared with my newfound knowledge and skills from this game.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you bring up the fact that the game gives you increasingly more effective ways of dealing with the zombies as they get stronger as well. The fact that you are constantly receiving new weapons keeps people coming back for the next level to see what they will unlock next. It is a great gimmick for this game and keeps the audience coming back to watch more commercials in between levels, or buy the game. Psychologically it just makes sense! Good point to bring up!

    ReplyDelete