Friday, December 3, 2010

Practicum 3- Krista

So Its definitely crunch time for my project. I finally got a computer which can support Second Life since it is such a memory intensive game, and my old computer just couldn't handle that apparently and neither could the library computers. Anyways, I'm really just starting to detest Second Life. I don't understand why anyone goes on it. I think it relates to what we recently talked about in class... the virtual space vs. the physical space. If we can do everything online, like visiting different places in second life, then is there really a need for the existence of a physical space? Well I think yes. Quite frankly i just find Second Life boring. Visiting places in a virtual world is not as fun as going to the physical space. Once you teleport to a place all it seems you can really do is walk around and look at things, but it's not the same as seeing things in real life. Anyways, today in Second Life I first went to this "chat hot spot" called the bear lodge which was a destination for new users to chat with others about Second Life, but everyone seemed to feel the same way as I did. The general consensus was "I just don't get it", and the response was that there is nothing to get about Second Life. Your just supposed to explore and chat with people. But I don't like that because neither really excite me. Chatting with random people and exploring virtual spaces just isn't appealing to me. One thing that I did like about my explorations today was that I visited the UW Madison destination, and I was really surprised to see the Union Terrace on the lake with all the chairs and everything. Inside the building was an art gallery with what i presumed to be actual UW student artwork, just like they have in the real Union. So that was cool to look at art, but I think I still would prefer to see the real thing in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment