Friday, December 10, 2010

Practicum #6

I’ve accomplished my goal! I am now the mayor of something. Actually two places:
-the Vilas Park Shelter
-Vilas Zoo Primates

Yeah, not too exciting. This is one of the interesting things about FourSquare: You can make pretty much anything ⎯ be it a house, a restaurant, or a random park bench ⎯ a place for yourself and others to check-in to. That maximizes the possibilities for mayorship, but it also minimizes its importance. As a mayor, am I on the same level as someone who is the mayor of a more popular space, like, say, the Majestic? Or Humanities? (I don’t know who these people are who are mayors of school buildings, but I respect the dedication.) Honestly, I don’t think I am on the same level, and if being a mayor can mean that I rule part of the zoo, then I think being a mayor is a little questionable overall. What does it mean? Who cares?

Then again, being mayor of the primates house is a little cool.

1 comment:

  1. I have never used FourSquare, but when you become the mayor of something, do you get points towards another badge or anything? What is the incentive to check into a place that many times... is it just the title? I think FourSquare is interesting, but I also think it's one step closer to having too much technology in our lives, to the point of us not being able to have any personal life or time. It is basically like ubicomp in the sense that technology will have infiltrated every part of our lives someday, and I don't know if that is a good thing or not...

    ReplyDelete