Saturday, December 11, 2010

Practicum 6

While on Twitter today I was thinking about one of the major uses of the site, which is using Twitter for promotion. I've observed this with both company's using Twitter for promoting new products, but many users utilize this aspect as well. One of the companys I follow is Nike and Nike tweets daily about new product announcements and special offers. Nike, along with many other companies, utilizes Twitter to update customers on new products and offerings because it offers these companies a quick and easy way to promote their products. Not only are these tweets a cost free way to promote their products, but they also provide their customers with real time updates. I think this aspect of Twitter is going to continue to be used and become a very important part of promotion and advertising and Twitter usage continues to grow.

Many users also use Twitter for promotion purposes. For example, one of my friends that I follow recently tweeted about a magazine that was published for one of her classes. She tweeted about the magazine launch and then also included a link that connected to the magazine website. I think the ability to link to sites or people in tweets is a major aspect with promotion on Twitter as well. Overall, I think Twitter will continue to play an important role in promotion and advertising, especially aw Twitter usage increases.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are definitely right about businesses using twitter more. This past summer I worked at Madison Tanning Company and they required us get a twitter to tweet about specials at work and also follow the company twitter page. I think businesses are starting to focus more and more on social media networks to target consumers, and I don't really know how I feel about that. I suppose it is smart, but at the same time it just annoys me. Its a social networking site, not a media networking site!

    ReplyDelete