Thursday, December 2, 2010

Practicum 7 - Lily

I know that i've been increasingly frustrated with MuggleSpace over my last few posts, but I think I've had a bit of a breakthrough. While on chat the other night, I managed to sift through the perverted and immature chatter and have a nice conversation with a user named "Arawyn" about the cinematography in the latest film. She (or he) was very knowledgable, used correct grammar (a rarity on MuggleSpace), and had some really interesting viewpoints on the film. We even managed to distract the rest of the chat room from their conversation about how "hot" Emma Watson is and turned it into a really good discussion about the film and our hopes for the next one. It was the first time i've ever really enjoyed myself while on MuggleSpace, and it showed e that i'm not merely a bystander on the site, but a participant and potentially a leader. Perhaps this applies to all social media situations - one needs to be assertive and concise in order to get what they want from an interaction. I'll definitely try to have more discussions like this one on MuggleSpace.

1 comment:

  1. I thought your presentation in class was really interesting. I am a huge fan of Harry Potter but never really visited websites for it except in like middle school for online HP games lol! It's cool that you were able to talk about the movie with someone, especially a big fan who is part of MuggleSpace. But I do share your frustration with online chat rooms, they can be really weird sometimes!

    ReplyDelete