Monday, October 4, 2010

Practicum-Klay

So I began my voyage into the internet via the elusive MOO. However, the beginning of my voyage was really quite uneventful, as I spent an entire hour learning simply how to participate. I used the microsoft Telnet client via RUN: telnet and connected to the LAMBDAMOO server. From a tiny black window I followed the tutorial. Everything is text. Everything. Its like the matrix, but the font color is white not green. Everything is carried out by text commands such as "look" "say" "examine" "emote". What struck me was how the hierarchy of the world became somewhat evident as one has to examine an object in order to see what commands can work with it. For example, If in the MOO I would first type look to find out there is a box in the room. Then "examine box" then it would tell me I could open the box. So I would type "Open box". There I would find a note. Then I would type "examine note in box" then I could see the commands I could do with the note. Then I would type "read note in box" to actually read it. I'm thinking now is a bad time to be developing a repetitive stress injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment