Monday, November 8, 2010

Hulu and You Tube

I have been watching TV shows streaming online long before Hulu came out, and I think Hulu is a good idea because instead of the television companies just complaining about people illegally posting and watching their shows, they realized that they can actually make people happy and still make a profit through a website of their own. It goes along with the saying "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em". Hulu makes it easier for me to watch shows, because I don't have to spend 10 minutes searching the Web for illegally uploaded videos. However, the one thing I don't like about Hulu is that they still run commercials during the show. Even though there are fewer commercials I think Hulu would be even better if they strictly advertised on the website rather than during the TV shows. Youtube on the other hand, does only advertise on the website which still brings profit for the company without interupting viewers. Overall, I don't really think Hulu and Youtube have much in common. Hulu is a sight strictly for viewing television shows and there are strict "gatekeepers" monitoring what videos are posted to the website. Youtube, rather does not have this gatekeeper and the videos posted are personalized by the viewers. Youtube is not only a space to upload and view videos, but it also allows for discussion and comments on videos. I think each website is meant to entertain audiences, and even though they have different content, both are very successful at doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment