Monday, November 8, 2010

Hulu & Youtube

Youtube is a way of life. As the person before me posted, I could literally spend hours watching and sending videos to friends and family. I sometimes feel like Youtube is its own form of media because it really has created its own culture--even multiple cultures, as different groups of people use it in different ways. I don't think I could ever pinpoint the funniest Youtube video I've ever seen. After all, I've been watching Youtube videos for about 5 years now. (Thats like, 10 seasons of a TV series!) I also don't think I could even begin to approximate the number of videos I've seen or watched. Just today...I came home to my roommates dying of laughter over a video of a bird dancing to Willow Smith's "I Whip My Hair" - it was hilarious, and provided for an awesome moment.

Hulu is a website I turn to when I need to catch up on specific shows. I know that the episodes on Hulu will be reliable - they will show the episode in full, the way it would be on TV. Maybe it's the commercial breaks, the commercials for it on TV, the professional/clean-cut layout of the website. But whatever it is, I turn to Hulu if I need to catch up on some serious TV watching. For example, I missed this week's Modern Family on TV and couldn't think of a better way to catch up on it than lying in bed with my laptop and Hulu.

Hulu and Youtube differ in their content, the ways in which people use them, and the viewers they attract.

No comments:

Post a Comment