Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mark - [Practicum Post: 1]

Jebus. I have to present on Tuesday already! Better get this show on the road...

So, I was the "lucky" guy to get the practicum assignment of participating in an MMORPG. For this, I chose the game World of Warcraft (WoW). I've never played the game, under the assumption that it wasn't really for me. The stereotypes that get associated with WoW players are none too flattering (heres to you, South Park). Don't get me wrong, I like playing video games. I've been playing on Xbox Live for years, but it was always something like Halo. Nothing quite to the scale of an MMORPG. Going into it, and having never even played a PC game, I knew the learning curve was quite steep. But hey, wheres the fun if it wasn't going to pose a challenge? ;)

Imma just limit this post to install and set-up, because up until this point, not too much has gotten accomplished. After shelling out $20 for the game (Liz, Danny, you can reimburse me anytime) I had the daunting task of installing and signing up for it. The package came with two disks and an incredibly thick instruction manual. After putting in the first disk, it asked me a few basic questions and then started the install. Easy enough. I was already well on my way to starting a life in the WoW! Or so I thought... Installing took and astounding FOUR HOURS!?!? (Does that count towards the 15? lol) I couldn't believe it. Had I been just a casual gamer trying to play the game, the two-disk install and multiple patch updates alone would have been enough to turn me away. No turning back now though...

Upon completion of the instal, I was prompted to set up an account with Battle.net. Most of it was your standard sign-up process, but at the end of it all, it asked me for a credit card? They wanna sign me up for auto pay so that they can charge me to play their game online month after month. Excuse me? No. The free 30 day trial that came with the game is the only thing they have going for them at this point. As soon as I finished signing up, the auto renew setting was the first thing I changed.

Finally, I launched the game and was ready to play. On that cliffhanger, I'm gonna call it quits for this post and just leave you with this one preview of things to come.




Stay tuned.. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment