Monday, November 1, 2010

Practicum #3

Since my last post on the beersmith site, I have not gotten any feedback from any of the other blog members. There was only a single other post since my last post on October 20th, I am starting to think that this site is not as active as I anticipated it to be. It is hard to really brew beer and talk about it on a daily, even weekly basis since home brewing is not exactly a quick process. I have been searching and found a recipe that I am going to try and convince my roommate to brew with me over thanksgiving break. I also posted that recipe on the beer forum to hopefully get some feedback from these "pros" as they brag about on this site. Here is the recipe that I found

Beer Style: fruit beer, pumpkin
Recipe Type: extract
Description:
I received this "recipe of the month" last week from a local homebrew supply store. I HAVE NOT tried it, so you are on your own.
Ingredients:
  • 6 pounds, light Dried Malt Extract (or 2 cans light malt extract syrup)
  • 1--1/2 ounces, Mt. Hood Hop Pellets
  • 6 pounds, Pumpkin meat (2 small)
  • 1 teaspoon, Burton Water Salt
OG: 1.045 FG: 1.008
Procedure:
Peel and remove seeds from pumpkin and cook until soft. In a large pot, heat 1--1/2 gallons of water - add your malt, Mt. Hood Hops and cooked pumpkin meat and boil for 30 minutes. Add Burton Water Salt and 1 tsp. Irish Moss and boil for 15 minutes more. Add finishing hops and boil for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat. Strain hops and pumpkin meat. Add boiled wort to prepared fermentor -make up to 5--1/2 gallons. Add prepared Liquid Yeast. Ferment to SG 1030, transfer to Secondary Fermenter, add the spices (BE SURE NOT to add the spices until the secondary fermentation or you will lose the intensity of the spices). Finish fermenting. Prime with 3/4 cup corn sugar, bottle and age for 3 to 4 weeks or more.
Submitted by: Kevin Dombroski (found it on the website, www.beerrecipes.org)

Hopefully I'll get some feedback from someone soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment