Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Addicted, sort of: Yesterday through Screens

I'll be the first to tell you – I'm addicted to computers. While a couple of my (very lucky) friends can get away with not using their computers in lectures, I can't, because I write more down that way. Plus I can always stay connected with Facebook, Twitter (mobile web when I'm at my place, Tweetdeck when I'm on campus), and my e-mail. I'd say Tumblr too, but one of my favorite (and most time-sucking) sites was down yesterday. So I checked imgfave.com, a site recommended to me by said friends, with new images out every day of the most randomly wonderful things.
I also found out, through Facebook and Twitter, that one of my favorite news anchors (and people) is coming back to Madison TV, which made me really happy.

Anyway, as sort of mentioned above, when I'm not on my computer, I'm usually on my (as I call it) 'generic smartphone.' While it's not an iPhone/Blackberry/Android phone, I can still access Facebook et al on my phone, which makes my Econ lecture fly by.

After my Econ lecture yesterday, I went back to my place to eat lunch. I turned on the TV and had 'The Country Network' on in the background while I ate. During a discussion section afterward, I followed along with the provided Powerpoint slides and double-checked Facebook to make sure that I had the correct date/time/place for coffee with my favorite sports reporter after class.

Last night, after spending a bit of time on Twitter and texting people, I almost fell asleep, so my computer usage was lower than it usually is. But after a while I was back to normal - doing homework on my computer with the news on in the background.

I thought not having internet at my place would help 'cure my addiction to computers,' if you will, but it didn't... oh well.  

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you that it's kind of scary to think about how we are completely living in a screen permeated world today. It had become so common that we kind of stopped thinking about it. And it is definitely harder than ever to even imagine life without internet.

    ReplyDelete