Monday, December 6, 2010

Practicum #5

While on Twitter this weekend I was thinking about how the site fit into our lecture topics from last week. First off, I thought about how Twitter related to spatial convergence and how it affects geography. In lecture we discussed how that with all of these real and virtual outlets that we don't need physical space like we used to. One aspect of Twitter that I think relates to this argument is our ability to constantly know where people are or what they are doing from Twitter. As I was looking through some of the people I realized that people often update their accounts to where they are or what they are currently doing. So simply by going on your computer, without even leaving your house, you can check up to see where your friends are or what they are up to.

In Thursdays lecture we discussed Mobile Cultures and I think Twitter quite obviously has a role in this topic as well. Twitter allows for users to tweet from their mobile phones and from almost any location. Also, by using users can feel a sense of personal space by accessing or updating their Twitter accounts in a public space. Overall I found a lot of connections with my practicum project and the lecture material for this week and thought Twitter was a good example site for both of these topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment